Friday, March 16, 2007

Imizael

Today, it seems important to write of my time on the mainlands, my life before exile in Lok'Groton. How long ago that was, a mixture of memories happy and sad. Today is the anniversary of the last time I saw my sister, Imizael, alive.

She was everything that was good and noble about the Sylvans of our community. I remember her striking violet eyes and golden hair, so much like our mother, and her smile that could stop arguments in a single moment. Like our father, she was a gifted scholar, much of her knowledge learned in secret because... well, Emperor Mobius controlled everything. Her particular gift, which I can write about now, here, because I am exiled, was languages. But she and father taught at the Imperial capitol, and only taught mathematics. Her students, mostly young nobles, loved her approach and wit, making the subject fun.

The last day I saw her, things happened so very quickly. The imperial guards came, bursting into our home. The servants scattered, things were thrown and destroyed as they searched for something but would not tell us what. In minutes, Imizael and I were separated from our parents and taken before Mobius. There could be no resistance. What happened to our parents I may never know, but Imizael was thrown into a dark portal swirling with energies. Moments later, with my hands bound, I was thrown into that same portal - a jarring experience that left me to awaken on Lok'Groton. But I have not seen her here since that day years ago.

So this day, I light a candle for Imizael. May the light help her find her way.

Eil'daen Kitaan
Autumn 84, year 565 of the Lok'Groton Isles

No comments: